India is poised to meet Australia in the World Cup 2023 finals in Ahmedabad, marking the fourth time for India and the eighth for Australia. Their ODI World Cup history spans 13 encounters, with Australia clinching eight victories. Notably, India has won the last two matches, including the recent league fixture in the 2023 World Cup in Chennai.
The upcoming clash carries historical weight for India, seeking redemption from the haunting defeat in the 2003 final against Australia. The question looms: will Australia repeat history, or will India script a historic win, securing their third ODI World Cup title?
A comprehensive look at their ODI World Cup head-to-head reveals notable encounters:
- 1983, Prudential World Cup, Nottingham: Australia won by 162 runs.
- 1983, Prudential World Cup, Chelmsford: India avenged with a 118-run victory, paving the way for their first-ever ODI World Cup triumph.
- 1987, Reliance World Cup, Chennai: Australia clinched a nail-biter, winning by just one run.
- 1987, Reliance World Cup, Delhi: India emerged victorious by 56 runs.
- 1992, Benson & Hedges World Cup, Brisbane: Rain disrupted India’s chances, resulting in a one-run loss.
- 1996, Wills World Cup, Mumbai: Australia won by 16 runs, despite Sachin Tendulkar’s brilliant 90.
- 1999, ICC World Cup, The Oval: Australia continued their dominance, winning by 77 runs.
- 2003, ICC World Cup, Centurion: Australia triumphed by nine wickets, marking India’s biggest batting collapse.
- 2003, ICC World Cup, Johannesburg (Final): Australia set a target of 360, and India fell short, losing by 125 runs.
- 2011, ICC Cricket World Cup, Ahmedabad (Quarter-Final): India secured revenge with a five-wicket win.
- 2015, ICC Cricket World Cup, Sydney (Semi-Final): Australia retaliated, winning by 95 runs.
- 2019, ICC Cricket World Cup, The Oval: India dominated, winning by 36 runs.
- 2023, ICC Cricket World Cup, Chennai: India triumphed with a six-wicket victory, led by KL Rahul and Virat Kohli.
As India and Australia prepare for their latest showdown, the ODI World Cup history between these cricket giants adds layers of anticipation and rivalry to the upcoming final.